Skip to main content

So I took this quiz...

You know, one of those where you make a numbered list and write down certain things by certain numbers like "By the number 3, write down the name of a member of the opposite sex. And by number 7, write down the name of a song title." Those kind. Yeah. Then when you're done, it gives you the answers to what each of those things mean.

The creepy thing was it was right on target. I actually had tears in my eyes when I got to the last one, and it said "The song title in number 11 describes how you feel about your life." My song title was "Probably Shouldn't Be This Way" by LeAnn Rimes. I've often wondered why I was chosen to lead the life I do. I've done things to make it better, or thought I had, then I just backslide. I just wish upon a star I could catch that one major "lucky break." Just once.

I have my consult for the Lap-Band surgery on the 25th of this month. I'm now trying to race around getting tests and paperwork and all sorts of things needed for my insurance to pay for it. It's downright crazy. Let's think for a moment here. I live in one of the most technologically advanced, yet severely morbidly obese countries in the world. More people here die from things related to being obese than anywhere else on Earth. Yet, when you try to diet (and stick to it) and fail, and you're forced to go to a surgical alternative, the insurance companies throw a hissy fit. It's expensive, they say. It's complicated, it might not work, what if the weight returns. As if we don't question all that ourselves enough without them butting in!

But here's the kicker. If you're on disability, and get Medicare/Medicaid (the government insurance for disabled/poor/elderly folks, for those of you reading this who don't live in the USA), they will pay for years of you going in and out of the hospital for various complications due to high blood pressure, pneumonia, heart disease, heart attacks, diabetes...etc. Do you know how long you have to stay in the hospital if you have complications from diabetes? My cousin was in there for almost a MONTH, worrying every day that he was going to lose his foot, if not his whole leg. I hate to even dare to guess the cost of that hospital stay. But if you have M'care/M'caid, they pay it all, no sweat.

Let's also consider Medicare Part D, which is the prescription drug coverage. I pay $3 for each medicine, utnil the plan and I together have paid about $3k in drug costs. My medicines are very, very expensive, so normally I only have to actually pay for my medicines until mid-may or June, then the plan pays for the rest. How many people take medicine for diabetes (insulin), heart conditions, high blood pressure, thyroid, gallbladder, etc., where, if they had the ability to lose some weight, they might just get to stop taking most, if not all of those medicines?

To clarify, what I'm going on about is, if the state of the Medicare and Social Security system is so poor, why not approve an approximately $10,000 surgery (depending on when and where it happens, of course), enabling people to lead longer, healthier lives, rather than continue paying hundreds of thousands of dollars PER PERSON for hospital stays, medicines, doctor visits and the like? Enable people to have the choice to have the surgery, lose the weight, and get back into the workforce, thereby contributing to a better economy for all of us.

Naturally the weight loss success from surgery would depend on the person actually following doctor's orders and sticking to the diet prescribed. I realize that. But why not at least give it a chance? Give me a protein shake for a little while over a lifetime of insulin shots and heart medicine, ANY day of the week!

Sure, I'm nervous about this surgery. Half of me (the fat half) is scared of failing. Will I really be able to do this? The other half of me (the skinny half) is shouting "You go girl! You can do it!" and excited about being thinner and healthier again.

So I guess we'll see in 2 weeks. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Comments

jacobW said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
Where have you gone Mel? I miss you...
Melissa said…
I'm still here, Din, just been busy with life and kids...I've missed you too and hope everything is well for you!

Popular posts from this blog

Boredom....

Boredom is setting in, I've been on the phones for an hour and no calls. I know it'll be back to back here in a couple of hours, so I'm enjoying the peace while I can. I'm currently debating whether or not I have time to rip off my headset, dash to pee, and get back before a call comes in. My luck, probably not. And I don't want to waste my precious break time. I save that for when the call flow is heavy LOL I really do like my job. Seriously. This is like THE job to have. Sitting at home, just listening to customers whine and bitch about their internet. Having a smoke, having some wine. Just kickin back and relaxing. Sometimes I can't believe I get paid to do this. And of course I worry that the project I'm on is gonna come to a screeching halt one day. But with the current call volume the way it is, and predicted to get higher by winter, I doubt it. There are some agents that have been on this project for 2 years. So it doesn't look like it's going

We got it! We got it!

Today's date was hovering over me like a rain cloud. I could barely sleep last night, wondering what today would portend. Today was the day we would get "the call." The call that would change our lives. The call that would tell us whether we got approved for a new house or not. 10 a.m. No phone call. 11 a.m. I called and left a message. 12:37pm, she called. I answered the phone with a hitch in my breath and fevered prayer to God. She sounded happy when she said Hello. Good sign. Then I heard the magical words "You're approved!" But there was a catch. We weren't approved for a brand new home, the one we'd painstakingly chosen flooring and wallcovering for. We'd been approved for a repo. Neither Bruce nor myself realized there was another option besides approval or denial. The repos are all in great shape, like brand new, and we can even use our first-time home buyer's credit as a downpayment. So now all we have to do is get the property tax in

Just...Wow....

I've been here since 2004. 5 years. I didn't realize I'd been blogging that long. I don't think anyone reads my blogs anymore but that's ok. I like to come back for sentimentality sake. I'm heartbroken that ALL of my private diary I had saved on my hard drive was obliterated a month ago as the hard drive died a slow and painful death. Normally they can get the information off the drive by mounting it on their server, but the drive wouldn't respond. Period. It was cold dead. Which means I lost pictures and documents from about 2007 onwards. Highly treasured photos at that. Maybe it's for the best that my kids don't read all that garbage I used to write about George. Entries upon entries of disgust, contempt, borderline hate. Maybe it is better to just put it all behind me and let them have what little memory of him they have left. Jake has no memory of him hardly at all, and Ry remembers very little. The memories will fade as they get older, I'm c